Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Thai food


Good stuff Thai food, maybe the best in the world, I love spicy food so I can usually dig into almost anything. I know I havent even tried half the dishes in this country, im not much of a "connaisseur" and tend to eat at 7-11 a little too often.

One of my most vivid memories of visiting Isaan for the first time was about the local eats. I saw this super cute boy of about 5-6 years with a huge smile holding a yellow ice-pop, but when I got close enough I noticed he was gnawing on the claw of a chickens foot on a stick.

At the fams farm I watched my brother-in-law chop up a large rat to make laarb noo issaan. I had to pass on that one. Raw buffalo, bloody clams, fermented land crab paste, and fried bamboo grubs(actually delicious, kinda like french fries!) are all par for the course in this part of the world.

I remember when I worked at "Surin" that once in a while I would overhear "this is westernized Thai food, the Thai food in Thailand is so much better, more authentic...blah blah blah". Well actually no. The food at upscale Thai restaurants in the states benefits from something very lacking in most of Thailand- quality control.

You are most likely not going to get poisoned here(bad for business), but finding a tendon, knuckles, unidentifiable shattered bone, boiled blood cube, or talon in your curry is not unusual. I will miss eating real "Thai style" like this
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

but I am also looking forward to eating the shit out of some Taco Bell and mac n' cheese.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home